The forward part of the submarine is taken up by four torpedo tubes and the torpedo stowage compartment with space for six reload torpedoes. The tube space is separated from the stowage compartment by two watertight doors to isolate the bow section in the event of damage or flooding through the tubes. It was through opening a tube rear door with the bow cap already open that HMS Thetis was lost on trials in Liverpool Bay in 1939. Additional safety devices were subsequently fitted to prevent this ever happening again and these can be seen on the tube rear doors in Alliance.
The Royal Navy Submarine Museum . Haslar Jetty Road . Gosport . Hampshire . PO12 2AS
© 2010 The Royal Navy Submarine Museum - All Rights Reserved
Website maintained by Reticom and Matrix Creations